THE BIG LIE #1 from Image in September

Sorry I’ve been AWOL on my blog posting, but there’s been a lot of travel and some intense deadlines lately. The travel has been to England and Canada (pix to come) and the deadlines have been for penciling and scripting THE BIG LIE #1 which will ship from Image in the first week of September.

The September ship date is meant to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the attacks on the Twin Towers because that’s the subject matter of THE BIG LIE.  This book is quite a bit different from my other 9/11 themed graphic novel, CAN’T GET NO.  You can find out all about THE BIG LIE and see samples of the cover and inked interior pages on this write up by USAToday.  I’m reuniting with my ARMY@LOVE foxhole buddy, inker Gary Erskine on this one, with Thomas Yeates and Brian Romanoff editing. The project has got an amazing amount of buzz with our initial announcement, including this report over on the HUFFINGTON POST. Be sure to read the always lively comments section!

You can pre-order the comic through Diamond now.  I’ll be running pencils and other samples over the next month.  Above is Page 1 before our Uncle Sam narrator is added and Gary Erskine works his magic.  The finished page is up on the USAToday site.

9 Comments »

9 Comments so far

1. John June 22nd, 2011 11:57 am

Hey Rick, what’s the extent of Romanoff’s involvement with the project? Is this a for-hire polemic or true creative work on your part? Meaning, if you wanted to go in a certain way that deviated from the standard Truther line of thinking, etc.

It’s obvious we’re going to go down the rabbit hole on 9/11, much like the JFK assassination, and possibly make up our own individual interpretation of events. Both somehow become myths that get broken free from objective reality. We are never satisfied with, and feel empty in regards to, whatever the closest approximation to what actually happened.

For me, I guess the “what now” becomes more important than the “whodunnit”.

2. Rick June 22nd, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi John,
    The project was originally conceived by my old pal, Tom Yeates. He’d proposed it to Image and they dug the concept with myself and Gary on the creative end based on our ARMY@LOVE series. I was interested but told Tom I didn’t want to work under the Image deal, which is to do the job first then share in the after-publication profits. I’m a page-rate-up-front kind of guy. I also wanted creative autonomy but with a good fact-checker on the editorial end to help me get things right.
    Amazingly, Tom hooked up with Brian Romonoff, who was active in the “Truther” movement and who quickly raised funds through donations to do the book. Brian and Tom (and the donors) were cool with me running the show creatively and Brian proved to be the excellent fact checker we needed.
    The story is a drama, not a straight propaganda piece. The questions surrounding the whole 9/11 affair are sewn into the action. Sort of like how Cameron structure “Titanic”.

3. Frank J June 25th, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi Rick,
    This looks to be very promising & thought-provoking. Can’t wait to read it.
    I noticed in the USA Today piece there is mention of addressing other historical topics, as well. Hope we get the opportunity to see those as well.
    I was re-reading Abraxas & The Earthman earlier this week. It never ceases to amaze me & had me thinking about when we’d be seeing
    another project of yours, so this is very welcome news.
    Best of luck with this.

4. Bryan July 7th, 2011 9:18 pm

This is great news! Looking forward to it, but am sorry you’re not doing the covers, especially as the A@L covers were so good (much like The One and all the rest). Good luck.

5. Tom Vudtiyanon July 25th, 2011 9:00 pm

I knew there were some comic book artists out there who questioned the official story for 9/11. I was wondering when somebody would look into the cover-ups concerning that day in the form of a comic book.

6. Tony Figueroa August 1st, 2011 10:06 pm

Rick, I’ve enjoyed your work a great deal since “The One”, “Bratpack”,”Maximortal”, “1963″ and your run on “Swamp Thing”. I also respect your stance on creator’s rights. But I’m deeply disappointed that you’ve chosen to become a quasi “truther”. I understand that the overwhelming majority of the creative community is “liberal” in it’s politics. What I don’t understand is why said community, with very few exceptions, isn’t rallying around the cause of defending our freedoms from a supremacist ideology that is the complete antithesis of what the creative community is supposed to stand for. Instead, you are “asking questions” about 9/11 as if there were some hidden truths undiscovered. Our country, our culture and civilization were attacked on that day Rick. That’s the truth. Neither left wing nor right wing politics will spare anyone from our enemy. You’re a hell of a comic creator Rick and I certainly wish you nothing but the best but I’m sorry to say that this is one project where you’ve lost one reader.

7. Rick August 2nd, 2011 9:33 am

Tony, thanks for the heartfelt comment. But please don’t equate questioning our government’s story about 9/11 with support for fundamentalist terrorists. My own position is quite the opposite. I’m outraged that post 9/11 many lives and much treasure that were needed for the real battle were squandered in an invasion of a country that had nothing to do with the attacks.

And please don’t think that same questioning is only a “liberal” preoccupation. Americans all across the political spectrum think the 9/11 commission was a whitewash.

I understand if this book isn’t your cup of tea. The good news is you do have a choice in the marketplace. For something more in line with your political view, may I suggest Frank Miller’s HOLY TERROR?

8. Tony Figueroa August 2nd, 2011 2:52 pm

Rick, I apologize if my comment even vaguely implied that questioning the government’s story about 9/11 is tantamount to supporting terrorism. No such accusation was intended. I share your outrage that we squandered the good will that was much in evidence immediately after 9/11 in a unjustified and futile “war” in Iraq that did nothing but create even more victims for generations to come in both countries. And I say that as a “Conservative”. I’m not inclined to buy Miller’s book because it may have a “Conservative” veneer. The War on Terror isn’t going to be won on a battlefield and our ideas won’t win the day from the barrel of a gun. The “war” has to be fought and won in the arena of intellect, culture and re-affirmation of the values of Western Civilization. Nevertheless, I hope that “The Big Lie” is a major success for you Rick and I look forward to being seduced by your wares on your next project.

9. Matt September 5th, 2011 11:09 am

After 10 years of pissing my friends off at bars and conventions, it’s nice to know I wasn’t alone.